05 June 2011

Edinburgh to Berwick-Upon-Tweed: 60 mile bicycle ride


60 mile bicycle (97 km) ride from Edinburgh to Berwick
Tim, Ben and I riding into England
Yesterday I went for a 60 mile bike ride from Edinburgh to the northern most English city of Berwick-Upon-Tweed with two friend (both English) from the LL.B. programme. About halfway, near Dunbar, Scotland, I hit a curb while changing from the road to a bike path and went flying off my bike. My arm, hip and ribs were good and bloody, but we used our combined first aid kit and then went to an injury unit of the NHS (National Health Service) nearby. I only took off multiple layers of skin and didn't break anything, but had managed to get oil, dirt and gravel mixing into the wound. After getting patched up in multiple bandages and plasters we were off again to our destination. It was very breath taking ride, as we rode along the coast and could see the North Sea and rolling farm land all the way. Once we arrived in Berwick-Upon-Tweed we walked around the town and toured a few old buildings, then had a couple pints of English ale and a pub dinner to celebrate our accomplishment, then hopped the train back for Edinburgh.

riding into Northumberland
Today I have been recovering from the fall and soreness of mussels, as my bike is a 1970s 2 speed Dutch bicycle and I ended up using a lot of leg power going up the hills, whereas my friends had 15 speed bike which were quite new and made of light weight material, yet I was impressed with how I not only kept up, but was able to ride 60 miles. I have also been watching the Roland-Garros (French Open) men's final between Federer and Nadal on the BBC iPlayer (watching TV live stream on the Internet). 

No comments:

Post a Comment