10 March 2009

Colorado’s Matt Soper meets HRH Prince Philip

Matthew Soper, an LL.M. student at the University of Edinburgh in the United Kingdom was invited to be present at the installation ceremony of political author and journalist, Iain Macwhirter, as rector of the University of Edinburgh. The ceremony took place in the historic Playfair Library Hall of Old College, which also houses the School of Law and the Vice-Chancellor, Principal, and Rector’s offices. The installation was in the presence of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh, Chancellor of the University of Edinburgh.

After a brief addresses by Professor Sir Timothy O’Shea, Principal and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Edinburgh, and newly installed Rector Iain Macwhirter, the academic procession left the hall and all guests were invited to view the chairing of the new Rector round the Old College Quadrangle. From the Quadrangle, guests were received by the Chancellor, Principal, and Rector in the Talbot Rice Gallery of Old College.

Coloradoan, Matt Soper, had been advised by The Duke of Edinburgh’s personal secretary, Brigadier Sir Miles Hunt-Davis,that the Duke of Edinburgh does not grant autograph requests in-person or otherwise. Sir Miles also told Soper the Duke did not stand for photographs with people, except for those who had been in service for the Royal family or individuals who had done something great for the United Kingdom. Sir Miles told Soper, he was very impressed when he accompanied the Duke to Edinburgh on an official visit to the United States in 2007 and bumped into President George Bush at church and then two days later President Bush still remembered his name. Sir Miles said the American charisma and tradition of a hand-shake, autograph, or photograph with members of the Royal family is not the same.

“I joined a group of the University Choir members at the reception and the Duke of Edinburgh walked over and greeted everyone, asking what we were studying,” Soper said. When His Royal Highness approached me, he asked what I was studying and when I said International Law, he then, with a smile, said, “I can tell you are not a native.” I replied that I was from the United States and he inquired as to which state – to which I responded – Colorado. The Duke of Edinburgh then asked what brought me to Edinburgh. I explained that I was studying International Law and he said, “I never knew such a degree existed.” He asked me to tell him what International Law involved. I very briefly said it involved such broad categories as treaties among countries, piracy, and transnational crime.

Some others in the group said a few things to the Duke of Edinburgh and then he said that out of ten students in front of him, only two were from Scotland. I laughingly said, “It took me over a week to meet a real Scotsman upon arrival to the University of Edinburgh.” His Royal Highness, with a grin, tapped my forearm and introduced me to the gentleman he saw behind me wearing a kilt. The Duke of Edinburgh wished the small group of students the best in luck and left to attend a private luncheon with the new Rector and members of the University’s governing body.

The group of students I was with were awe-struck by the fact Prince Philip came over and spoke to us and even more impressive that he spent so much time with us. The Duke of Edinburgh seemed very charming and acted very much the part of the monarchy in his demeanour.