20 March 2010

Gary Burke - one of my closest friends will be deeply missed

One of my close friends, who inadvertently sparked my interest in politic and world affairs died yesterday. Gary Burke (1942-2010) had been a teacher of mine and a few close family friend and he collected autographed pictures. I can remember I wrote two letters: 1) to the US Sec of the Treas, Robert Rubin and 2) to the Colo Treas, Bill Owens. Owens wrote me a really nice letter and we met later that year. I helped on his 1994 campaign, then manned the party head quarters every day after school during the 1996 campaign, was rewarded by meeting Bob and Elizabeth Dole and before I knew it I had a friend who was Governor and was one of only a few individuals who could wonder in and see the Governor when ever I was in Denver.

Even though Gary was a Truman Democrat, he always encouraged my political activities, as he had a saying that an active electorate was better than a stagnate one. Oddly enough he was against Obamacare and he and I were trading emails off and on about the changing nature of the parties and the presidency.

No words can truly express how much of an influence Mr Burke had on my life. He was a close friend, mentor, and fellow collector. I can atribute four collections due to his influence - autographs, national geographics, coins, and stamps. I know my mother and Gary's wife always joked that somehow Mr Burke was really my dad.

Last summer I almost missed Mr Burke, but found him volunteering in the hospital. We talked for four hours or so and consumed Gatorade, ice tea, and shared a candy bar. I didn't think that would be my last in-person conversation with him, but his advice, thoughts, and most of all, his stories of he and Mrs Burke's travels and adventures will stick out in my head. Mr Burke is someone I had been looking forward to seeing this summer upon my return to the US for my holiday. I hate to say good bye to a friend who has such a profound impact on my life, but I am truly blessed to have been so greatly influenced by him. My thoughts and prayers go out to Mr Burke's wife, children, and grand-children.