26 October 2009

Law School: courses, studying, tutorials, lectures, reading, mooting, and socializing

Today, I completed my first moot court today. The point my team and I had to let what we considered a substantial point is lost in order for us to hit the harder point which allowed us to win the case. It was weird, but the judge did not look at us the entire time, she as a retired judge and just keep her head down taking notes. I was never really sure what that meant.

I am taking Contract Law, Family Law, Legal Reasoning/Legal Systems, Civil Law (Roman law). I am auditing International Law and writing a SWOT analyses for the dean of the law school. For fun I am continuing the French class I started last year and am fencing and playing tennis at least once a week. I am part of the mature law student society and they seem to go out for a pint every Thur.

Oddly enough, two of my lecturers are Americans; one is from the University of California - Hastings and the other from the University of Louisiana - New Orleans. The University of Edinburgh the entire University of California system are sister universities. The University of California system even has a large mansion in the near the law school which they use for helping California students, hosting receptions, and working out exchanges between students at the various institutions. Harvard and Cambridge are sister universities.